Monday, November 28, 2011

Boss of Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant rushed to hospital (but authorities say it's NOT to do with radiation) - 28th Nov 2011

The head of Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant which suffered the world’s worst atomic accident in 25 years earlier this year has been admitted to hospital, it emerged today.

Masao Yoshida, 56, who was in charge when a massive earthquake and tsunami struck on March 11, will be replaced in his post as director from Thursday, plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) confirmed.

An official declined to give details of Mr Yoshida’s illness, but told a news conference there was no indication it was caused by radiation exposure.

Mr Yoshida has been on the site for more than eight months since the disasters knocked out crucial cooling systems, causing reactor meltdowns.

Meanwhile, Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura told media in a separate meeting that the government 'intended to watch the situation carefully' to ensure plans to bring the plant under control were not affected.

Mr Yoshida's sudden illness has come to light just weeks addressing journalists who had been granted access into the plant earlier this month for the first time since the catastrophe.

He said: 'In my first week immediately after the incident, I thought a few times 'I'm going to die."' Read More