Friday, July 29, 2011

UK: Ministry of Defence to cut 7,000 jobs in an already dangerous world

The Ministry of Defence is to axe a further 7,000 civilian jobs as the department attempts to bring its budget under control, the Guardian said on Friday.

The paper reported that a letter signed by the department's permanent secretary, Ursula Brennan, would be sent to all staff explaining that cuts were necessary.

Last week Defence Secretary, Liam Fox, outlined proposals to cut a further 7,000 military jobs from the army between 2015 and 2020.

Cutbacks are politically sensitive at a time when Britain is stretched by military commitments in Afghanistan and Libya.

In March, the government said it would make about 11,000 members of the armed forces redundant as it cuts defence spending under measures designed to help rein in the record budget deficit.

The latest decision to cut jobs has infuriated union leaders and defence officials who said they were not consulted, the Guardian said. A Ministry of Defence spokesman said he was unable to comment on the report. (more)