Wednesday, September 19, 2012
59-year-old Wayne Watson had sued the manufacturer Gilster-Mary Lee, also Kroger and Dillon Foods.
He had purchased the popcorn at King Soopers.
Watson’s attorneys claimed there should have been a warning on the label. But lawyers for the supermarket chain responded saying they “might have well have warned that there are aliens popping out of the bags because there’s just as much support for that.”
Watson was diagnosed with respiratory problems in 2007 after years of inhaling the smell of artificial butter on the microwaved popcorn he would eat daily.
“Who would ever reasonably think that popping popcorn in your own home, no matter how it’s packaged or processed, would all of a sudden turn into an agent for toxic lung disease,” Watson told CBS4 in 2010. more