Monday, August 6, 2012

Ireland reports first ever case of hantavirus

The Emerald Isle is reporting its first ever case of the rodent borne virus in a German visitor earlier this year. Human Hantavirus infection has not previously been diagnosed in Ireland.

According to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre publication, Epi- Insight, released on August 1, a thirty year-old tourist from Germany presented in the Mid West Regional Hospital in Limerick earlier this year with renal failure and respiratory symptoms.

The German visitor was managed with supportive therapy and was discharged and returned to Germany once he had made a full recovery.

Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease spread to humans by rodents that has symptoms similar to influenza.

Rodents, especially deer mice, carry Hantavirus. The virus is found in their urine and feces, but it does not make the animal sick.

It is believed that humans can get sick with this virus if they come in contact with contaminated dust from mice nests or droppings. You may come in contact with the dust when cleaning homes, sheds, or other enclosed areas that have been empty for a long time. Read More