Tuesday, May 29, 2012

'Nine Dead' After Another Quake Hits Italy in 9 days

Rescue teams are frantically searching for survivors after a powerful earthquake in northern Italy - the second in nine days.

The 5.8-magnitude quake struck just after 9am local time in an area that had already suffered substantial damage following a quake on May 20.

That seismic event left seven people dead and some 5,000 in temporary accomodation.

Reports said the latest tremor has claimed the lives of at least nine people, but there are fears more could be dead as several buildings had collapsed.

The area affected was around 40km (25 miles) northwest of Bologna - the same region suffering a series of aftershocks following the earthquake in the early hours of May 20.

TV pictures showed crumpled buildings in nearby San Felice Panaro as rescuers clawed at rubble with their bare hands to reach survivors.

The town's mayor Alberto Silvestri said: "There have been victims, this is very serious." Read More