Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dr Gyorgy Rakoczy injected a FOUR year old Boy with 16 TIMES the correct dose 'acid' which burned a hole down to his spine

A four-year-old boy was left fighting for life after a doctor injected him with a potentially-lethal dose of acid which burned a hole through his skin down to his spine.

The boy sustained the horrendous injuries after a blunder at the former Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in Pendlebury in 2009.

He was treated there after his parents noticed he had a small haemorrhoid.

Consultant surgeon Dr Gyorgy Rakoczy removed the lump and asked a nurse to bring him Phenol - also known as carbolic acid - to put on the wound.

A five per cent solution should have been used - but when the nurse returned with an 80 per cent solution, Dr Rakoczy injected it into the boy without checking its concentration.

It was 16 times the correct dose and four times the level of a potentially- lethal dose, a General Medical Council hearing was told yesterday.

The highly-corrosive liquid burned away parts of the boy’s body leaving him with a hole down to the sacral bone at the base of his spine.

He was rushed to intensive care and doctors warned his parents he was unlikely to survive.

He did pull through, but was left severely injured and has since undergone over 30 operations. Read More