Tuesday, April 3, 2012

NATO must probe, pay for errors in Libya: Amnesty

NATO must investigate the killing of dozens of civilians during its air campaign in Libya last year and provide reparations to the people affected, Amnesty International said on Monday.

"Adequate investigations must be carried out and full reparation provided to victims and their families," said the rights group in a statement released one year after the first strike sorties were carried out by the alliance in Libya.

Amnesty's call drew a rebuttal from NATO, whose spokeswoman Oana Lungescu insisted in a statement that the coalition conducted a campaign in line with its UN mandate and international norms.

The watchdog said it has documented 55 cases of named civilians, including 16 children and 14 women, killed in air strikes in the capital Tripoli and the towns of Zliten, Majer, Sirte and Brega.

NATO attacks, which played a key role in helping rebels to bring down dictator Moamer Kadhafi, left a deep rift in the UN Security Council. Read More