Friday, March 23, 2012

Costa Concordia two months after it ran aground Divers find 5 more Bodies

Divers yesterday five more bodies in the shipwrecked Costa Concordia more than two months after it ran aground leaving 30 people dead.

The grim discovery was made as it was also announced that removal of more than 500,000 gallons of heavy duty diesel from the 17 tanks of the Concordia will be completed within the next 24 hours, in an operation that has lasted more than five weeks.

Officials said the three bodies had been located using a mechanical robot and they were found between the hull of the ship and the reef that it was resting on after striking rocks just hours after leaving on a Mediterranean cruise.

Another two were later discovered under deck three and were wearing lifejackets but had 'probably drowned' after being trapped between the hull and rocks, officials said.

Prosecutors have launched an investigation into the tragedy, which took place on Friday January 13, just off the Italian island of Giglio and which left 30 people confirmed dead, with four bodies still missing. Read More