Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Rebekah Brooks 'knew in 2006 about widespread phone hacking at the News of the World' - after being tipped off by police

Scotland Yard told Rebekah Brooks in 2006 that there were up to 110 victims of phone hacking at the News of the World, the Leveson Inquiry dramatically heard today.

Police had seemed to give Ms Brooks, then editor of The Sun, an incredibly detailed briefing about their investigation into the scandal within weeks of the arrest of News of the World royal editor Goodman and private detective Glenn Mulcaire for phone hacking.

It shows how News International executives were told by police that hacking was not only widespread, but that they knew Mulcaire had been paid around £1m by the News of the World - and despite this detectives were not keen to widen their investigation beyond Goodman and the private detective.

The explosive claims came from an email between Tom Crone, head of legal at the News of the World and Andy Coulson, the paper's then editor at 10.34am on September 15, 2006. Read More