Saturday, January 28, 2012

U.N. official abducted in Yemen released unharmed, officials say

A Norwegian U.N. official snatched from the streets of Yemen's capital city of Sanaa by armed tribesmen nearly two weeks ago was released unharmed, officials said Friday.

U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said the 34-year-old man arrived in good health at a safe haven in the capital. The victim was part of a team of U.N. election observers scheduled to oversee Yemen's presidential elections in February, officials said.

The U.N. official, who was not identified, had been released following negotiations by Yemeni officials, Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store said in a statement.

It was not immediately known what, if any, deal was struck by Yemen with the tribesmen for the official's release. He was kidnapped on January 15 by gunmen demanding the release of a jailed tribal leader, officials said. Read More