PHNOM PENH (Xinhua) -- A 2-year-and-7 month-old boy from northwestern province of Banteay Meanchey had died early Wednesday from avian influenza A (H5N1) virus after being admitted to hospital for about a week, said a senior health official.
"The boy passed away at 2:00 a.m. early Wednesday due to critical condition," Sok Touch, director of the Health Ministry' s anti-communicable disease department, told Xinhua over telephone on Wednesday.
He said the boy was the nineteenth person in Cambodia to become infected with H5N1 virus, and the first person died this year. "To date, 17 persons had died from H5N1 in Cambodia," he said.
According to a joint statement of Cambodia's Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization last Friday, the boy became sick on Jan. 3, 2012 suffering with fever, cough, runny nose, and vomiting.
He was initially treated by local private practitioners, but his conditions worsened and he was admitted to Angkor Hospital for Children on Jan. 9, where he died.
"The diagnosis of the clinical samples on Jan. 12 found that the boy had contact with sick or dead poultry prior to becoming sick," it said.
Banteay Meanchey is situated in northwest of Cambodia about 400 kilometers from capital Phnom Penh. Source