Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Karzai cancels UK trip after the twin suicide attacks killed 60 and Wounded Dozens more in Afghanistan - 7th Dec 2011



Afghan President Hamid Karzai has canceled a visit to the United Kingdom to return home following deadly blasts in the capital, Kabul, and in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif.

A spokesman for the Afghan embassy in London said Karzai had been due in London late Tuesday from Germany but was flying back to Afghanistan after the twin suicide attacks killed 60 people and wounded scores of others in the two cities.

A suicide bomber detonated a device at a Shiite shrine in Kabul on Tuesday, as worshipers were marking the Shiite holy day of Ashura, Afghan Health Ministry spokesman Kargar Norughli said. Fifty-six people were killed and 193 were wounded, Norughli added.

Megan Ellis, a U.S. Embassy spokeswoman in Kabul, said Wednesday that an American was among the dead. She added that consular officials were in touch with the family, who would need to consent to the release of further details. Read More