Thursday, November 24, 2011

Afghan children in Kandahar 'killed by Nato'

Seven civilians, including six children, have been killed in a Nato air strike in southern Afghanistan, local officials say.

District Governor Niaz Mohammad Sarhadi told the BBC the civilians died late on Wednesday in the Zheray district of Kandahar province.

He said the strike had been launched in a remote area after Taliban insurgents were seen planting roadside bombs.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the bombing.

The issue of civilian casualties at the hands of Nato forces is highly sensitive in Afghanistan.

A Nato spokesman in Kabul said there had been a "firefight" between insurgents and Nato forces in Kandahar province, but could not confirm whether air support had been called in.

An investigation has been launched. more