Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Two Hurt After Blast At Crewe Train Station - 29th Sept 2011

A man and a woman have been injured after a faulty underground cable sparked a series of explosions near Crewe railway station.

Manhole covers on Nantwich Road were blown off in the blasts.

The two injured people were taken to hospital suffering from arm and facial burns.

The incident caused a power failure that led to the railway station being temporarily closed while emergency services made the area safe.

Passengers experienced delays as trains were held outside the station.

A Cheshire Police spokeswoman said: "Police have no information to suggest anything suspicious has happened and are working with British Transport Police and utility companies to establish the cause."

Scottish Power later said it was their faulty cable and 3,000 properties in the area around Crewe station lost power at around 8pm.

Power was restored to all but around 10 of the properties by 10pm. Source