Monday, September 5, 2011

38 kids between the ages of 2 and 8 come down with food poisoning after eating breakfast from street vendors at Hafizpet, Ranga Reddy district, India

Thirty-eight children, aged between two and eight years, suffered food poisoning after eating breakfast from street vendors at Hafizpet, Ranga Reddy district, on Sunday.

They are undergoing treatment at Niloufer Hospital. Three of the children have been kept in the intensive care unit.

The children, belonging to a slum in Janapriya nagar consumed ‘idli’ and ‘dosa’ from a vendor in the locality.

“Within two hours of consuming the food, they displayed symptoms of food poisoning including vomiting and convulsions. They were initially treated at Area Hospital, Kondapur and from there, we shifted them to Niloufer Hospital,” said Dr Ch Jayakumari, district medical and health officer, Ranga Reddy.

The hospital superintendent informed that the condition of the children is stable. Source