Sunday, August 14, 2011

UK Riots: I’m not responsible for my son, says mother facing eviction from council house - 14th Aug 2011

The mother who faces being evicted from her council home after her teenage son was arrested over looting spoke out, insisting parents are not responsible for decisions made by their children.

Charity worker Maite de la Calva, 43, who volunteers to help families affected by domestic violence, says she has been left ‘heartbroken and disorientated’ by controversial plans to force her to leave her two-bedroom flat if her son is found guilty of burglary and violent disorder.

The devout Christian, from Battersea, South London, is consulting lawyers to fight the eviction notice served by Wandsworth Council and claims her human rights are being ‘taken for granted’.

The proposed eviction, which has already prompted huge public debate, is the first of its kind and there are likely to be similar cases as council leaders across England respond to public demands that looters face the toughest penalties.

Ms de la Calva says her son, Daniel Sartain-Clarke, 18, is innocent of the charges and was caught ‘in the wrong place at the wrong time’.

But she says even if he is found guilty, she and her eight-year-old daughter Revecca should not be penalised.

Spanish-born Ms de la Calva said: ‘We, as parents, are not responsible for the decisions our children make. I am the householder and it is my name – not my son’s – on the tenancy agreement.

‘I have lived here for five years and I get assistance with paying the rent because I am working part-time and my daughter is so young. Read More