Phillip Garrido, who raped the girl and fathered two children with her, was jailed for 431 years while his wife Nancy Garrido was sentenced to 36 years in prison for the abduction of Jaycee in 1991.
But it took authorities almost 20 years to rescue her after she was abducted in South Lake Tahoe, California, and a report from El Dorado County prosecutors shows the incredible mistakes made.
It labels one federal parole agent ‘utterly incompetent’ and looks at how various signs showed Phillip Garrido should have been locked up again in jail while on parole after an earlier rape and kidnap:
- Phillip Garrido tested positive for drugs such as methamphetamine.
- While he worked at a nursing home he tried to get colleagues to help him buy drugs
- He handed in watered-down urine samples during drug testing while on parole
- He wore a fake penis and used warm Mountain Dew soda to fool a drug counsellor in testing
- An agent noticed a soundproof recording studio in the Garrido couple’s backyard
One of the most disturbing revelations comes in the videos released, showing one of the 20 times when young girls were lured into the back of his van while his wife got them to stretch and bend over. Read More