The unnamed 50-year-old died after being left unattended for 30 minutes while undergoing surgery to amputate his leg on Wednesday night at the Shanghai No. 3 People's Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Hu Yuan.
A nurse at first tried to douse the blaze, caused by a disinfecting machine that caught fire but when that failed, the staff attending the patient reported the fire and tried to carry on with the operation.
'As they were finishing up, the power went out and then they all left,' Hu said.
Firefighters prevented the doctors from returning to the operating room, and by the time they reached the man in the operating room he was dead, apparently of smoke inhalation. Read More