Monday, July 25, 2011

Pensioner's garden falls 40ft into river after violent storm - 25th July 2011

A pensioner has had a lucky escape after her garden shed was swept away by a violent storm just five minutes after she had been inside it.

Patricia Howe, 72, had walked back into her home in Wetheral, Cumbria, from the shed which was situated at the end of her garden.

But when she looked out of her kitchen window just moments later, it had disappeared along with large chunk of her patio into the raging River Eden below.

'The rain was absolutely horrendous,' said Miss Howe. 'I had gone through to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. I turned on the kettle and thought I would feed my two cats.

'I was reaching to the kitchen sink for a knife and happened to look through the window and a big part of the garden had gone.

'There was no noise at all. I didn't hear a thing - no crack, no bang, nothing. The whole lot - including my shed and a big chunk of the patio - had fallen down into the river. The bird table was teetering on the edge of what was left of the patio.

'Five minutes earlier, I'd seen the wall through the window and it was there. Afterwards, I was so frightened by what happened that I was shaking.' Read More