Oscar Navarro was stung hundreds of times while walking near the Steve Daru Clubhouse of the Boys & Girls Clubs at 1375 N. El Rio Drive, which is in Joaquin Murrieta Park.
An autopsy Tuesday revealed that Navarro died from “mass envenomation”, which means venom from the bee stings, said Dr. Gregory Hess, Pima County chief medical examiner.
Tucson Fire Department firefighters sprayed the bees with a foam before they could get to Navarro and render aid. He was taken by paramedics to St. Mary’s Hospital in serious condition. He arrived at 6:52 p.m. and was pronounced dead at 7:13 p.m., Hess said.
“You can be stung so many times that you have difficulty breathing and your blood pressure drops. You die from the massive amount of venom,” Hess said.
Navarro was the first death from a bee attack this year in Pima County, Hess said. Last year, there also was one bee attack fatality, and that victim was an undocumented migrant who crossed the border illegally, Hess said. Source