Saturday, July 30, 2011

Girl dies of food poisoning, 51 ill, India - 29th July 2011

A 14-year-old girl died and 51 others were taken ill, 24 of them seriously, after they had soaked gram during a religious ceremony at Mohkhuwa in the Rajgarh area of Dibrugarh district on Thursday.

Along with 24 patients, Preety Rekha Bordoloi, a Class VIII student, was brought to the Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) on Thursday evening in a serious condition. Preety died on Friday morning.

AMCH sources said the condition of the other patients was being closely monitored and most of them were recovering. Seventeen of the 27 patients, who were admitted to Rajgarh community health centre, were transferred to AMCH on Friday as they showed no signs of improvement. All of them had complained of vomitting and developing cramps after having the gram.

"Altogether 42 persons were admitted to the AMCH and one of them died. Except for a couple of patients, the rest are recovering fast. We will discharge them in another 48 hours. We've, however, preserved the viscera of Preety and will send it to the Guwahati-based forensic laboratory for investigation," AMCH principal-cum-chief superintendent Pranab Baruwa said.

Deputy commissioner (Dibrugarh) K K Dwivedi, who visited the patients at AMCH, said a magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the incident. "We're trying to ascertain whether the gram was suitable for human consumption. We have collected samples and sent them for laboratory test," he added.
Read More