Monday, July 11, 2011

C. difficile outbreak over in 3 Ontario hospitals

The number of Ontario hospitals fighting outbreaks of the persistent superbug C. difficile is down to seven from 10 earlier in the week, Health Minister Deb Matthews says.

"Last week, there were 10 hospitals that had declared outbreaks. I'm happy to report that three of those hospitals are now successfully free of — no longer in outbreak mode — for C. difficile," she said Sunday.

Four of the hospitals where the infection is still raging are in the Niagara region, where the outbreak is concentrated, acting chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams said at a press conference alongside Matthews. The others are in Guelph, Orangeville and Mississauga.

An outbreak is declared when there are a certain number of cases that appear to start in a hospital. Cases identified as C. difficile in patients brought into the hospital do not count. (read more)