Tuesday, April 26, 2011

LIBYA: Fighting in southeast spreads... in 2008, that is -- Have previous attempts against Libya been made and buried?

This is reported from 2008, now long forgotten -- but does it sound familiar?

The daily Arab-language newspaper Asharq al-Awsat is reporting that the riots and fighting in southeastern Libya that began last week and left at least 11 people dead has spread to the country's second-largest city, Benghazi.

According to the report, which cites opposition groups and anonymous individuals inside Libya, the fighting between the Tabu tribe and security forces that began in the cluster of oasis towns near Kufrah, "is spreading to other nearby cities despite all the security measures the government is imposing."

A group of men engaged in street battles with police in the cities of al-Salmani and al-Majuri in support of Kufrah residents, the Nov. 10 report said.

A letter distributed by an opposition group said that some opponents of Libyan leader Muammar Kadafi are preparing "to launch a series of public demonstrations." (read more)

This website will continue acting as a giant shovel to dig out buried news that has been conveniently forgotten. Stay tuned.